In the An'ei era (1772-1781), the farmer and potter Kuno Han'emon built a noborigama in Hakoda (present-day Kasama, in Ibaraki Prefecture), under the instruction of an itinerant potter from Shigaraki. From the beginning, the daimyo of Kasama lent their support to the production of ceramics, and in 1861 the Kunogama was placed under han administration. In the following period, production of stoneware was the most important area of trade in the Kasama region.
After the feudal system, the kilns were privatized. However, the economic depression during the Taisho period (1912-1926) and the change in lifestyles after the Second World Ware nearly caused Kasama-yaki to disappear. In contrast to the neighboring Mashiko, Kasama did not benefit from the Mingei movement. But in 1957, Ibaraki prefecture, which had become wealthy from exporting electricity, provided intensive support. This took the form of recruiting designers and ceramists, and building an institute for material development, a large ceramics center with exhibition and sales areas, and the Ibaraki Ceramic Art Museum, which opened in the Spring of 2000. Today, there are about 400 potters working in and around Kasama, making domestic tableware, vases, and home accessories. See Anneliese Crueger, Wulf Crueger, and Saeko Ito. "Modern Japanese Ceramics". Lark Books, New York (2007). p 214.